Re: RARA-AVIS: Ripley, the film

Mario Taboada (matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 09:05:30 -0800 (PST)

Bill Hagen:

<<But perhaps it would've taken someone with the sensibility and clout of a Hitchcock to perserve Highsmith's Ripley in a major feature.>>

Hitchcock could have done it well, I'm sure. He sure was cold-blooded enough. What I really would have liked is a Ripley directed by the ascetic genius Robert Bresson, without a single known actor and in black and white.

Please indulge me by not throwing tomatoes: for quite a long time most new films I've seen have seemed like fast comfort food for TV addicts. Unbearably loud, too. I'm glad I don't review any more: it would be torture.

Regards,

===== Mario Taboada

"To a mouse, cheese is cheese: that is why mousetraps work." (Unattributed)