Re: RARA-AVIS: [RARA-AVIS] simenon question

Etienne Borgers (freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 00:59:34 -0800 (PST)

--- "A. Ferraiolo" <a.ferraiolo@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Does anyone on the list know offhand which George
> Simenon novels became the
> movies
> BETTY and MONSIEUR HIRE? Where I could get them?
> I've been trying to figure
> it out and I'm
> sure it's a question someone better read just knows
> top of mind. Thanks ---
> Angela

BETTY comes from the homonym novel: Betty (1961)- keeps its title for the English translation MONSIEUR HIRE comes from 'Les Fiancailles de M. Hire'
(1933) translated as: Mr Hire's Engagement Simenon is probably one of the most "adapted to film" writers of this century. As to get the novels: why do you not try Amazon.com

AS FOR YOUR SECOND QUESTION:
> Actually, I'm trying to put together a reading list
> of anything hardboiled
> that became French Nouvelle
> Vogue (Truffaut, Chabrol, Goddard, etc). And then
> another list of novels
> that became Hitchcock films.
> Any advice on these two endeavors would be very
> welcome. Any leads that
> would open up new areas
> would (such as Tim Krabbe - THE VANISHING - which
> has two movie versions)
> also would be appreciated.
> Thanks, thanks, thanks --- Angela

Should you read French (?), then plenty of sources about Nouvelle Vague and their "HB/Noir novels to film" to help you are existing... Archives of R-A contain very recent discussions about the topic as well.

Hitchcock: why do you not try to get one essay about his filming. The novels that were sources for the films are normally indicated in this type of work...

Multiple film versions: try Cinema/Video guides such as Maltin, Blockbuster..etc

Hope this is a begining of help.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384