Re: RARA-AVIS: That Mother Goose was one hardboiled dame....
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:40:49 EST

<< A bigger mystery might be Ring around the Rosies. Was a cult suicide or a mass murderer? >>

What I have heard about ring around the rosie is that it was that it came about during an epidemic of roseola (?) a childhood disease. Children would die from it very in the rhyme...when the children was because they had died.
(this was recently re-enacted and explained at a local park here in Mass...where I guess the epidemic was quite rampant) Jess