Re: RARA-AVIS: That Mother Goose was one hardboiled dame....

Mark Blumenthal (blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:37:28 -0600

> Humpty-Dumpty has always struck me as a traditional
> Chestertonian mystery. There's more to his Fall than
> meets the eye.

A bigger mystery might be Ring around the Rosies. Was a cult suicide or a mass murderer?

Actually, most Mother Goose rhymes have real life precedents. A lot of them were written because of incidents that would have caused a lot of discussion on the pre 1900 version of this list. Mark