Re: RARA-AVIS: up and coming hb writers

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 17:11:48 -0400 (EDT)

I would definitely agree with Juha that Jack O'Connell has not gotten his due and have praised him here before.

At least on the evidence of the first in the series I second Martha's endorsement of John Shannon.

And I've really got to get around to reading my Kent Anderson books after how many times he has been so highly recommended.

Now, let me add a couple:

Shooting Elvis by Robert Eversz -- great "on the run from everyone, but don't quite know why" book with a female protagonist. The following Gypsy Heart isn't quite as good, but I'm still keeping an eye out for his next one.

Everything by Ken Bruen, especially The Hackman Blues. Bruen is just great Brit hardboiled. I haven't gotten to his latest, yet, but it's near the top of my to-be-read pile.

Down on Ponce by once (and future?) listmember Fred Willard -- great, slightly quirky hardboiled (certain similarities in attitude and storytelling with Barry Gifford) set in Atlanta. Fred announced he was going on sabbatical from the list to finish his next book. I hope the work is going quickly because I, at least, am looking forward to it.

Mark