Re: RARA-AVIS: two questions

A.N.Smith (
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:35:28 -0000

> > 1) how much right do you think Quentin Tarrantino has to use the title
> > Fiction for his movie

> A definition of the term "pulp fiction" is displayed at the beginning
> of the movie, as if to say "This movie is a piece of pulp fiction (so it
> probably shouldn't be taken too seriously)." Not homage to anything,
> just 'nineties self-referential irony.

My thought is that pulp fiction changed quite a bit between the actual pulp days and the 50's paperback days, and continually changes. Pulp Fiction was not thoughtless gore and mayhem. There was a brain behind it, and I think there was homage to blaxploitation films, Elmore Leonard's dialogue, and that 50s attitude--Jim Thompson, Chester Himes, etc. The irony is new, but that's what made it a product of its time.

neil smith plots with guns (