Re: RARA-AVIS: James Lee Burke

M-T (
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 13:26:37 -0400

Jerry Buck:

<<Nevertheless, I'm prejudiced against cowboy sidekicks who shoot up everything and thus relieve the sleuth of having to actually solve a case.>>

Indeed, this can be a dirty trick. Robert Parker has used it ad nauseam with Spenser and Hawk. Walter Mosley did it more intelligently with Easy Rawlins and Mouse -- it's actually doubtful that Mouse is a helper! As to Clete Purcel, in one of the Robicheaux novels he appears in a boat out of nowhere (in the fog, as I recall..) and saves Robicheaux from a sure death. This scene was so unbelievable that I took it to be a touch of irony on the author's part.