RARA-AVIS: James Lee Burke

kip.stratton@natinst.com
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:41:44 -0500

I guess I gave up on Burke sooner than a lot of people: I made it through THE NEON RAIN and BLACK CHERRY BLUES before I decided I'd had enough of ghosts of the past hauntingly drifting over the swamps with a lot of pangs of Catholic guilt thrown in for good measure. And all of it overwritten. But I have to say that I think THE LOST GET-BACK BOOGIE is one of the best novels I read in the 1980s, and I'd enthusiastically recommend it to anybody. Then again, I understand Charles Willeford gave Burke a lot of advice about cutting and shaping the novel, so there you go.

Kip