RARA-AVIS: The whole Megilla

Lawrence R. (goldensam@sprintmail.com)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:59:47 -0400 --------------9DDBE147288C6F6D9FA19ACA

John Lau wrote:

> just be
> glad I didn't forward the whole magilla, as some of you are wont to do.
>
> btw... where did the expression "the whole magilla" originate anyway? it
> sounds like it could be a hard boiled title, doesn't it? there, I managed to
> be relevant.

The Megillah is part of the Old Testament, and is read in sections. The "whole
megillah" is a long long story with all the details.

Megillah,
also spelled MEGILLA, Hebrew MEGILLAH ("Scroll"), plural
MEGILLOT, or MEGUILLOTH, in the Hebrew Bible, any of the five
sacred books of the Ketuvim (the third division of the Old
Testament), in
scroll form, that are read in the synagogue in the course of
certain
festivals. The Song of Solomon (Song of Songs) is read on the
sabbath
of Passover week, the Book of Ruth on Shabuoth, Lamentations of

Jeremiah on Tisha be-Av, Ecclesiastes on the sabbath of the
week of
Sukkoth, and the Book of Esther on Purim. The reading of Esther
on
Purim is prescribed in the Mishna; other readings were
introduced in
post-Talmudic days.
["Megillah" Britannica Online.
< http://www.eb.com:180/cgi-bin/g?DocF=micro/385/10.html>