RARA-AVIS: Whole Megillah

Joe Kraus (j-kraus@nwu.edu)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 07:49:45 -0500 FYI: The "Megillah" is a scroll containing the Book of Esther, and it's
what Jews read aloud during the holiday of Purim. Things always get pretty
wild at Purim. People dress up and dance around. Whenever the bad guy --
Haman, who plotted to have all the Jews of Persia killed -- is mentioned,
everyone is supposed to shout and use noisemakers to drown it out. One
custom for observing the holiday is the requirement that you become so
drunk that you can no longer tell the difference between Haman and Mordecai
(the good-guy uncle of Esther who foils the plot).

"The Whole Megillah," as I understand it, then, suggests seeing something
through that starts to seem nonsensical. It isn't entirely negative, just
a suggestion of silliness.

I agree, there's a good 'hart-boilt' novel to be written as "The Whole
Megillah." How about part of an Esther Marlowe series, some time after
"The Big Spiel" and "The Queen Wouldn't Dance"?

Joe Kraus
Northwestern University

#