[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Share your fantasy...

Gary Warren Niebuhr wrote:
> I once had the opportunity to buy a
> really nice copy of this book from Steven Stiwell for $500 that I turned
> down, and after I did Robert J. Randisi walked up and asked Steve if he had
> sold "his" copy of the Big Sleep.  So, not only did I not have the Big
> Sleep, but I passed on having another P. I. writer's copy.  Such is the
> fate of a long time book buyer.

This reminds me that I got one of my best bargains in March: I bought a
copy of the second Private Eye Writers of America anthology _Mean
Streets_ for $20 at a book sale. What's special about this copy is that
it's a presentation copy from Randisi (the editor) to Ed Gorman.  How's
that for a fine modern association?

I emailed Randisi a few months ago suggesting that he join us on this
list; he tried, but was put off but the peculiar hoops the listproc put
him through.  Too bad, he'd make a good addition to the discussion.
--
James Stephenson
Rare Books & Special Collections Cataloger