[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Share your fantasy...

>What one book would you love to own (within the category hardboiled/noir) if
>price and scarcity were not to be considered?
>
>Sandra

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler which is why that Otto Penzler reprint is
soooooo nice to have on the shelf.  It sure looks like the real thing, and
it is as close as I will ever get.  I once had the opportunity to buy a
really nice copy of this book from Steven Stiwell for $500 that I turned
down, and after I did Robert J. Randisi walked up and asked Steve if he had
sold "his" copy of the Big Sleep.  So, not only did I not have the Big
Sleep, but I passed on having another P. I. writer's copy.  Such is the
fate of a long time bookbuyer.

My late friend Bob Samoian used to tell a story of a few book buyers
standing around a fine copy of Hammett's Maltese Falcon that was selling
for $800 and complaining about the price.  THis proved to be his greatest
"I should have" story.

Neat question, Sandra.
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca