[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: S.J.Perelman

At 09.35 24 April Duane Spurlock wrote:

>>Looking through the RARA-AVIS archives, I followed a thread about
hardboiled slang. To return briefly to that topic, I recommend an essay
by S.J. Perelman, "Somewhere a Roscoe...", an essay that originally ran,
I think, in the New Yorker. It's a wonderful and funny piece about
tough-guy and pulp slang and the joys of reading Dan Turner, Hollywood
Detective stories. Perelman was a funny, funny guy who wrote for the
Marx Brothers. The easiest place to locate this essay is an anthology
titled "The Most of S.J. Perelman."<<

Perelman also wrote a good spoof of hardboiled PI stories called _Farewell, My
Lovely Appetiser_.

Stephen

*  Stephen Holden                                  *
*  Queen Mary & Westfield College                  *
*  London E1 4NS                                   *