[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Cornell Woolrich question

> Date:          Thu, 24 Apr 1997 20:03:11 -0400 (EDT)
> From:          Katherine Ann Harper <kharper@BGNet.bgsu.edu>
> To:            "'rara-avis@icomm.ca'" <rara-avis@icomm.ca>
> Subject:       RARA-AVIS: Re: Cornell Woolrich question

> On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Spurlock, Duane wrote:
>
> > My next question: This volume includes no publication info on these
> > stories' original appearance. Can anyone supply date and magazine names
> > for 'em:
>
> Courtesy of Francis M. Nevin's amazing Woolrich biography, _First You
> Dream, Then You Die_ (NY: The Mysterious Press, 1988):
>
> > "Rear Window"
>
> _Dime Detective_, Feb. 1942 (as "It Had to be Murder")
>
> > "Post-Mortem"
>
> _Black Mask_, April 1940
>
> > "Three O'Clock"
>
> _Detective Fiction Weekly_, 1 October 1938
>
> > "Change of Murder"
>
> _Detective Fiction Weekly_, 25 January 1936
>
> > "Momentum"
>
> _Detective Fiction Weekly_, 14 December 1940 (As "Murder Always Gathers
> Momentum")
>

> > Finally, what is the "so-called Black Series of suspense novels"
>
> These are better known as the "Serie Noire"--classic American (mostly)
> detective and crime fiction with a decidedly dark tone.  Authors include
> Woolrich, David Goodis, Raymond Chandler, and the like. The chances are
> that if a *film noir* was based on a book, that book is one of the Serie
> Noire.

Good work Karen.

An added note; The "Black Series" when pertaining to Woolrich
encompasses his novels with " Black " in the title They are as
follows:
The Bride Wore Black
The Black Curtain
Back Alibi
The Black Angel
The Black Path of Fear
Rendezvous in Black

I did that from memory, so I may have missed one or two.

> Hope this helps!
>
> Katherine Harper
> Department of English
> Bowling Green State University
> Visit the W.R. Burnett Page at http://ernie.bgsu.edu/~kharper/
>
> -
> # RARA-AVIS:  To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis"
> # to majordomo@icomm.ca

James Mountain, Bookseller
Specializing in Mystery & Detective Fiction

Po Box 693
Qualicum Beach, B.C.
Canada, V9K 1T2
PH:(250) 752-4658 (PST)
e-mail:cheryl-james@bcsupernet.com
http://WWW.abebooks.com/home/GRENDEL/

TERMS: All books subject to prior sale. Please e-mail to reserve.
All prices in U.S. dollars.
Dealer's trade courtesies extended.
Postage: In North America; $4,00 for first book, $1.00 each extra book. Overseas shipments will be billed at cost.
Any item, for any reason, may be returned within three weeks of receipt.
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]