[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Frank Miller's Sin City / Warren Murphy

CraigET@aol.com wrote:

> I've been lurking in the shadows for about 2 months now and enjoying it.  But
> I haven't seen mention of Frank Miller's Sin City.  This is a series of
> "comic books" (or graphic novels/short stories) that are truly hard-boiled
> stuff.  Set in the fictional Sin City and with a number of recurring
> characters, they are well worth checking out.  The short stories are quite
> good; the novels are terrific.
>
> Published so far:
>
>     Sin City
>     The Babe Wore Red and Other Stories
>     A Dame to Kill For
>     The Big Fat Kill
>     Silent Night
>     That Yellow Bastard
>     Lost, Lonely, & Lethal (short stories)
>     Sex and Violence (short stories)
>
> I would certainly like to hear from anyone else who has read these.
>
> Ann Chambers Theis writes:
> >Looks like Harlequin in coming out with Destroyer 107 (4/97)
> >and Destroyer 108 (7/97) with credits to Murphy/Sapir.
>
> Although Harlequin credits Murphy and Sapir with the Destroyer novels,
> Richard Sapir died over a decade ago and I don't believe Murphy has written a
> Destroyer in quite a while.  However, the last few Destroyers have been
> copyrighted to M. C. Murphy.  My guess would be Molly Cochran Murphy herself.
>
> Craig E. Thornton
>
> -
> # RARA-AVIS:  To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis"
> # to majordomo@icomm.ca

Ann and everyone else interested:

Well, well. Somebody else out there is interested in these. I've got SIN
CITY and A DAME TO KILL FOR and would like to find the others you
mention. These two graphic novels are worth checking out to see what an
artist does with the hard-boiled theme. Very tough and pulpy, they go
just a little too far for me to really say I *like* them, and I wouldn't
recommend them to, say, my mother, but the black-and-white art and the
loner-standing-up-against-corrupt-society themes keep me turning the
pages. So, what do you think, is the hero of SIN CITY really dead or
will he return? And what is THAT YELLOW BASTARD like?

Thanks for mentioning these.
Richard King
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca