[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Two questions and a comment.

On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, William Denton wrote:

> does Gutman actually call the Falcon a "rara avis" in the book?

Yes!  It's his very last line, at the end of Chapter 19: "And to you, Miss
O'Shaughnessy, adieu.  I leave you the _rara avis_ on the table as a
little memento."

As far as Fredric Brown is concerned, I second the earlier poster who
recommended _The Fabulous Clipjoint_.  It won the Edgar for Best Novel in
1947, and why it hasn't been filmed is a mystery to me.  Your local used
book store may be able to find you a copy of the 1979 reissue, or of a
four-novel collection published by Zomba Books (London) in 1983:  it
contains _Clipjoint_, _Knock Three-One-Two_, _The Screaming Mimi_ and
_Night of the Jabberwock_.

While Brown wrote many, many memorable books and stories, I think his most
effective is "Don't Look Behind You," which will keep you checking in
closets and under beds for days after reading.  It's included--in the
wrong place in the volume!--in the story collection _Carnival of Crime_,
published by Southern Illinois University Press.  (Why does it matter
where in the volume the story appears?  *That* will make sense once you
read it!)

Katherine Harper
Department of English
Bowling Green State University