[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled

Bill--

Does Hardboiled Fiction require a Hardboiled Detective?  Well, that's not
a fair question, bec. the answer is obviously "no" (see nearly every
Thompson novel).  I have never read any V.I. mysteries (saw that awful
movie w/ Kathleen Turner, though), but I wonder whether the fact that the
Continental Op could kick her ass makes the novel she appears in
necessarily NOT Hardboiled. I guess what I'm saying is, the distinction
between V.I. novels and the Hardboiled genre needs to be made more
clearly. Is the detective too conscientious?  Too concerned about social
mores?  Does she actually care about other human beings besides herself?
Does she fail properly to enjoy brutalizing other human beings?  What
makes her not hardboiled? And, could a novel or story theoretically be
hardboiled if its detective is not? I've been reading Dorothy Hughes and
trying to figure out her relation to the genre. For the most part I can't
read modern crime fiction (with some Very noteworthy exceptions).

Michael

Michael D. Sharp                       "I'm a white male, age 18-49.
msharp@umich.edu                       EVERYONE listens to me, no mat-
Department of English                  ter how dumb my suggestions are."
University of Michigan                                  --Homer J. Simpson