Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Song Noir

From: Karin Montin (kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 19 Jul 2009

    Yesterday I went shopping for some holiday reading and picked up some French crime fiction, totally unrecommended by anyone. One of the books is Citoyens clandestins, by an author who goes by the pseudonym of DOA. It won "Grand prix de littérature policière" in 2007, according to the broad red strip of paper wrapped around it in that French way. Not having read it yet, I can't report. But one of the things that caught my attention was the note at the beginning (my translation):

    With a view to clarity, the author has included, as appendices to this book, a list of main characters, a simplified organization chart of French intelligence departments and a playlist.

    The playlist at the back tells what various characters are listening to on different days and the effect of the music on them. A couple of examples:

    November 14, 2001, revolutionary Lynx was fighting to the sound of Public Enemy (album: Fear of a Black Planet/track: Fight the Power). November 18, 2001, calmer, Jean-Loup Servier discovered the Doves
    (album: Lost Souls/Track: Sea song). November 27, 2001, he consoled himself with Booth and the Bad Angel (album: Booth and the Bad Angel/track: Dance of the Bad Angels).

    Now I have no idea what the book is about yet (a thriller featuring a journalist and apprentice jihadist) and I don't know many of the songs listed, but I find the playlist a kind of cool idea.

    Karin

    --
    Karin Montin