RARA-AVIS: Re: Song Noir

From: Eric Chambers (nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 19 Jul 2009

          "Steve Novak"
          Cinefrog@comcast.net
                  wrote :-
    > All this to say that this is one of the rare times that music is talked

    > about in connection with crime stories in rara, and it is a pure delight to

    > hear somebody think of titles, songs, bands...etc. ..in connection with it

    A few that come to mind are
    'House of the Rising Sun'  The Animals Lou Reed's 'Berlin'  song cycle. Various Dylan eg Tombstone Blues Desolation Row Gil Scott Heron and Brain Jackson 'The Bottle' Flying Burrito Brothers
    'Christines Tune 'Devil in Disguise''
    'Sin City' Rolling Stones
    'Wild Horses' Any number of Hank Williams tunes Byrds 'You don't miss your water' AfroCelt Sound System 'Dark moon, High Tide' Roxy Music, 'Love is the Drug' Van Morrison, 'TB sheets' Leonard Cohen. 'Dance me to the end of Love' Various Tom Waits

    Since we're on the subject, am I the only one who likes to soundtrack my noir and hardboiled reading? I'm as interested in scores and soundtracks and musical themes to this genre as I am in the writing and the authors.

    Chandler, Hammett and their ilk have inspired creative work in many other genres than writing. Music, film,  radio, comics, comic strips, graphic novels, fine art, posters, design, automobile design to name only the more obvious.

      Eric

          ____________________________________________________________________________________ Access Yahoo!7 Mail on your mobile. Anytime. Anywhere. Show me how: http://au.mobile.yahoo.com/mail