RARA-AVIS: Re: "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Jul 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Jack Bludis <buildsnburns@...> wrote:

    > About a year ago, maybe two, after I praised "The Road" or "No Country for Old Men" and Cormac McCarthy, someone on the list tole me to stop what I was doing and to go read "Blood Meridian."
    >
    > I saw some recent chat about it, learned the the movie was in production, and came across the book at the Baltimore County Public Library all within a few days.
    >
    > I was wary because of the specific violence people mentioned--I found even worse violence than I was told about because it was more one-on-one instead of general.
    >
    > Although I am only two-thirds through the book, it is probably the best written book I've read in years. The first three pages are as good as any poem I have ever read.
    >
    > And, yes. I don't know if it was here or on another list, but when casting the movie (although they probably already have) John Goodman as the Judge.

    It could have been me that recommended it. I've been recommending that book to all sorts of people. Especially when I hear that American fiction has lost its edge... I think it's McCarthy's greatest book, though he has written several great ones -- the two most recent ones are masterpieces, no question.

    I would not bet that the movie will be great... McCarthy is a man of words. Yes, there is action, but the poetry (to use your apt word) is the author's, and his particular rhetoric is hard to reproduce visually.

    mrt