RARA-AVIS: Re: Masked Detectives?

From: Chuck G. ( chgenoe2@prodigy.net)
Date: 16 Jun 2008

Hi Kevin, One of the websites dedicated to The Spider, describe him as one of the first masked superheroes. It describes the Spider's novels as Batman vs. The Army of Darkness as directed by John Woo.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Burton Smith
<kvnsmith@...> wrote:

> Chuck wrote:
>
> > This probably not hardboiled, but Baen is reprinting The Spider
> > stories by Gerald W. Page from the 1930s. I just finished the
first
> > paperback 'Robat Titans of Gotham', and really enjoyed it.
Nostalgia
> > Ventrues is also reprinting The Shadow. Are there any other
writers of
> > this type of story that people might recommend?
>
> (All together now)
>
> Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na BATMAN!!!!
>
> Okay, there may be a comic book or two featuring Batman, but you
> probably mean prose stories.
>
> There have been some pretty good Batman short stories and even
novels
> in prose form, particularly in the nineties, and at his best,
Batman's
> always had a hard, noirish edge to him. My guess is it was the
> animated series ( a popular AND critical success, surprisingly
subtle
> and nuanced) done for "kids", not the increasingly dreadful and
> increasingly campy movies done for children, that helped attract
some
> of the better crime writers of the era to take a whack at the
Bat:
> Greg Rucka, Joe Lansdale, Stuart Kaminsky, Max Allan Collins,
James
> Ellroy, etc. In fact, some of them also wrote for the series, if
I'm
> not mistaken, and there were a couple of collections of Batman
stories
> published about the same time. And of course, there's THE DARK
KNIGHT
> set to open soon on the multiplex near you, thankfully not based
on
> Frank Miller's over-rated piece of graphic novel sludge (which,
more
> than anything, is why I dreaded him getting his hooks on Marlowe).
>
> And of course Batman himself made his debut in issue #27 of
DETECTIVE