RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir series (long answer)

From: William Ahearn ( williamahearn@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Sep 2007

--- Michael Robison < miker_zspider@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Aren't there a few movies made from Chandler's work
> that are considered noir?

I don't want to start a whole thing over this but I don't consider Chandler or Hammett or Spillane as noir. And that's not based on the fact that novels and stories with Philip Marlowe could be considered a series (in reference to the original post) but because they're of a completely different sensibility. Granted, I may be alone in this definition but the more I research what two French critics actually meant
(and didn't coin) I feel more strongly than ever. I might as well go with both barrels and say that I don't think Siodmak's The Killers or John Huston's The Asphalt Jungle is noir. Don't get me wrong, I love both flicks. In my world, what can be considered noir is much, much smaller than what most other people think. The French filmmakers had it right from the getgo. Not the critics. The filmmakers.

And I'll articulate it better in essays since it does eat up a lot of space.

William

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>