Re: RARA-AVIS: Nathan Heard

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 24 Mar 2004

Mark Sullivan wrote:
> I find Slim's overbearing misogyny more than a bit creepy at times,
> which may be why I far prefer his con job novels to Pimp (if anything,
> it's worse hearing those sentiments spoken out loud on his spoken word
> album, which is backed by some of the worst pseudo-jazz you've ever
> heard). Although Nathan Heard's Howard Street is populated by pimps,
> hustlers and whores, often in extreme circumstances, he seems more
> intent on understanding the lives of all of these people than
> glamorizing those lives.

********************** My main complaint about PIMP is that I thought the writing was poor. It seemed to me that a lot of conversations got repeated, with nothing to gain from it. There was little insight in the book. The scenes, the pacing, and the characters were poorly done.

Hemingway said that a writer had to have a built-in bullshit detector. I don't think Slim had that.

I'm 50/50 on the black writers I've read. I didn't much care for Goine's WHORESON, either, although I thought it was better than PIMP. Ed Lacy's ROOM TO SWING and Himes's COTTON COMES TO HARLEM were both excellent.

Shifting gears, I'm having a hell of a time getting Heard's HOWARD STREET. I've ordered it twice and twice my order has been cancelled.

miker