Re: RARA-AVIS: Nathan Heard

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 23 Mar 2004

miker wrote:

"Although I consider a comparison to Iceberg Slim a dubious distinction, I ordered a copy. I don't recall ever hearing about Heard before."

I find Slim's overbearing misogyny more than a bit creepy at times, which may be why I far prefer his con job novels to Pimp (if anything, it's worse hearing those sentiments spoken out loud on his spoken word album, which is backed by some of the worst pseudo-jazz you've ever heard). Although Nathan Heard's Howard Street is populated by pimps, hustlers and whores, often in extreme circumstances, he seems more intent on understanding the lives of all of these people than glamorizing those lives.

Mark