Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Politics

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Jul 2003

<<We are talking hardboiled fiction here. If we turn it into hardboiled "literature," I'm afrai we will greatly limit out discussion.>>

Jack, you're making it too complicated. I used literature in its straightforward sense: a written piece or collection of pieces.

<<In fact, the only topic may become "What is literature?">>

No, please. Let's debate "What is hardboiled?" and "What is noir?" instead. Or, to make it easier, "What is the difference between hardboiled and noir and, should these be proven to be intersecting genres, what is the extent of such an intersection, what are representative examples of hardnoir, and what are some useful criteria for telling without reading the works in question?". It might lead to a useful discussion of jacket blurbs, babes on the cover, the pulps and Tarantino.

Currently rereading Conrad's _Heart of Darkness_, fantastic.

Best,

MrT