RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Politics

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Jul 2003

Jim Blue says of Matrixtech's comments:

>>I'm always a bit prickly when I hear someone
suggest that one writer or another is not worthy of discusssion. It always feels a tad elitist to me, because it rests in the end on well informed, but ultimately subjective judgments<<

>>Also, I guess that your lack of concern in
the past about the literary quality of works relating the adventures of such marvelous but one demensional protagonists as Mike Hammer, Shell Scott, Mike Shayne, Dan Turner and others, made me wonder why you chose to draw an acceptability line above the heads of these two women and their authors.<<

I had a similar reaction to matrixtech's post on this subject.

We are talking hardboiled fiction here. If we turn it into hardboiled "literature," I'm afraid we will greatly limit out discussion.

In fact, the only topic may become "What is literature?"

Jack Bludis

===== http://JackBludis.com