Re: RARA-AVIS: New hardboiled definition

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Sep 2002

Rene,

Re your observations below:

> Oh, & Race
> Williams & Mike Hammer.
> Is vigilantism considered a legal activity . . .

I haven't read the entire Williams corpus, but, strictly speaking, Hammer rarely killed anyone
(including Velda in I THE JURY, who he INTENDED to murder vigilante-style) except in self-denfense, which IS legal. Neither did Williams in the Daly stories I have read.

The fact that they may have ENJOYED it immensely may be cause for moral tut-tutting, but it didn't make them criminally culpable. It was just that irritating, frustrating fact that the judge
(representing literary critics who excoriated Spillane so mericilessly in the '50s) at the beginning of ONE LONELY NIGHT is complaining about.

JIM DOHERTY