Re: RARA-AVIS: New hardboiled definition

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 17 Sep 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "JIM DOHERTY" < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com>

> I haven't read the entire Williams corpus, but,
> strictly speaking, Hammer rarely killed anyone
> (including Velda in I THE JURY, who he INTENDED to
> murder vigilante-style) except in self-denfense, which
> IS legal. Neither did Williams in the Daly stories I
> have read.

If Mike Hammer only kills in self-defence, it's by accident, not intent.

In his own words: "I don't give a damn for a human life any more, even my own. Want to hear that philosophy? It's simple enough. Go after the big boys. Oh, don't arrest them, don't treat them to the dignity of the democratic process of courts and law....do the same thing to them that they'd do to you! Treat 'em to the unglorious taste of sudden death." (ONE LONELY NIGHT)

Al