RARA-AVIS: Frank vs. Henry Kane

From: GN ( piesbook@execpc.com)
Date: 11 Jul 2000

> Where does this idea of Henry being the good Kane come from? I just
> can't figure it out. Henry Kane is overwritten, sloppy and
> boring. Sometimes funny, sometimes parodical in the Prather vein, but
> never good. Frank, on the other hand, is hardboiled, saves the
> wisecracking and sometimes tells a good story. Well, some of the later
> Franks are pretty tired, but the early ones are quite readable.

I would have to agree with the above. Henry Kane is one you read strictly with a sense of nostalgia and for the style. If the dictionary is handy, you might enjoy Henry, as he has the William Buckley method of using words no one else remembers or spells correctly. Frank Kane, on the other hand, is pretty typical in style and use of language, and fits quite nicely into the hard-boiled school. I always enjoy a Frank over a Henry, any day.

Best, GWN Gary Warren Niebuhr P. I. E. S. (Private Investigator Entertainment Service) P. O. Box 341218 Milwaukee, WI 53234 piesbook@execpc.com http://www.execpc.com/~piesbook/piescatalog.html