Re: RARA-AVIS: deep south reading

From: pabergin ( pabergin@gte.net)
Date: 11 Jul 2000

>I'm off soon to the Deep South (mainly Florida, Mississippi, and
Louisiana).
> Can anybody recommend any good HB reading?

Sure. Ace Atkins' CROSSROAD BLUES [Miss & La]. Any fiction by Randy Wayne White except NORTH OF HAVANA and THE MANGROVE COAST [Fla]. Daniel Woodrell's UNDER THE BRIGHT LIGHTS, MUSCLE FOR THE WING and THE ONES YOU DO [three TERRIFIC novels set in Louisiana -- shd be read in order]. Almost anything by James W. Hall, esp GONE WILD and BONES OF CORAL [Fla]. Any of the DEAL novels by Les Standiford [Fla]. There is also a book I read a few years back, THE HATED ONE, set in the FL panhandle. I can't recall the author's name at the moment, and it's long out of print, anyway. Worth picking up if you see it, though.

This ought to get you started, anyway. PB