RE: RARA-AVIS: Top Picks

From: Martha Fischer ( sakana@stlnet.com)
Date: 06 Jan 2000

as far as ELLROY goes, i'd really aggressively recommend the big nowhere. it's the first of the la quartet and, like it or not, it gives you a good indication of they power and style of his writing.

for HAMMETT, i concur with the glass key but might also suggest the thin man. it's not typical of his stuff (for me that's good, though many will argue with that!), but is very entertaining...i've always though that nick and nora charles were based on hammett and hellman, resulting in one of his more fully formed female characters.

martha sakana@stlnet.com <mailto: sakana@stlnet.com>

-----Original Message----- From: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca]On Behalf Of abc@wt.net Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 9:00 PM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RARA-AVIS: Top Picks

Paul: Picking books by all those writers would be pretty tough, and probably many of us would choose different ones. Here are a few of my recommendations.