RARA-AVIS: Top Picks

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 05 Jan 2000

Paul: Picking books by all those writers would be pretty tough, and probably many of us would choose different ones. Here are a few of my recommendations.

Jim Thompson: I'd start with THE KILLER INSIDE ME, but you can't go wrong with POP. 1280. And I've always thought SAVAGE NIGHT was one of his best.
 And then there's THE GRIFTERS and A HELL OF A WOMAN.

John D. MacDonald: In the Travis McGee series, I think my favorites are BRIGHT ORANGE FOR THE SHROUD and A DEADLY SHADE OF GOLD. Among the others, why not start with THE BRASS CUPCAKE? It was his first, and it's one of my favorites.

Robert B. Parker: THE GODWULF MANUSCRIPT.

James Ellroy: I'm not a big Ellroy fan, but I did like the first couple of books, BROWN'S REQUIEM and CLANDESTINE. And SILENT TERROR.

Fredric Brown: THE WENCH IS DEAD and NIGHT OF THE JABBERWOCK.

Raymond Chandler: THE BIG SLEEP and THE LITTLE SISTER.

Dashiell Hammett: THE MALTESE FALCON and THE GLASS KEY.

Charles Willeford: MIAMI BLUES.

Elmore Leonard: CITY PRIMEVAL.

I think I'd better stop before I take up too much bandwidth.

Bill Crider