RARA-AVIS: Re: a little good news...Hard Case Crime is back on its feet.

From: hardcasecrime (editor@hardcasecrime.com)
Date: 21 Oct 2010

    > I might've eye-skipped it, Charles, but are you going to
    > keep the mass-market format for the books?

    The stock that Titan is acquiring from Dorchester is obviously mass market; when stock runs out on a given backlist title, we're going to discuss with Titan whether to reprint in mass market or trade pb. My current guess is that we'll stick with mass market for most titles, but it might be fun to bring out larger trade editions of some, particularly if we publish new books in a given series in trade.

    And our new titles will probably come out in trade pb first (we might then put out a mass market edition down the line). There are many reasons for this, including the increasingly painful economics of the mass market publishing business (there's a reason Dorchester Publishing, one of the only all-mass-market houses left, is on the edge of bankruptcy) and the success Titan has had with their very stylish Sherlock Holmes series in trade pb. There is a way to do mass market books and stay in business, but starting new titles out in trade will almost certainly make more sense. (All five of the new publishers that made offers to keep Hard Case Crime going wanted to do trade pbs. Note that I do hope to make any trades we do relatively inexpensive ones, maybe $9.95 rather than $14.95 or $17.95. But this hasn't been decided yet.)

    There may even be a few very special titles that we publish first in hardcover. But more on that as things develop...

    --Charles

    -- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Mason" <foxbrick@...> wrote:

    > Listmember Charles Ardai is getting the word out, certainly in the
    blogosphere, that his HCC has struck a deal with Britain's Titan Publishing (distributed in the US by Random House) to continue the line, beginning next year...and they are buying Dorchester's backstock of the mm paperbacks previously published, to make sure they remain available.