RARA-AVIS: Re: Dorchester goes digital and POD

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2010

    MRT wrote:
    > Along the lines of the scenarios we have been discussing, I wonder if noir will veer away from crime and become the preferred vehicle for telling noncriminous realistic stories as well. To me, that would make a lot of sense, and in fact, I bet it's already happening. I don't see any reason why noir should be a subgenre of crime fiction and/or crime film.
      I would not be surprised if this is happening in novels that I'm not aware of, but I am certain that there are short stories that fit this bill.

    Off the top of my head:

    Scott Wolven's Controlled Burn and Richard Lange's Dead Boys contain examples. Larry Brown's Big Bad Love. Chris Offutt's story collection probably has more examples, but the powerful "Two-Eleven All Around" is one that stands out even though I haven't read it in 10 years. (Man, Offutt is missed as a prose writer).

    Chris