Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Dorchester goes digital and POD

From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com
Date: 13 Aug 2010

    Uh, I think you're missing my point. I do not assume a continuity of civilization. I see a fracture right now as industrialization fails (in North America) as the chief economic driver of our culture and the digital/information staggers in an unrealizeable effort to do what industry used to do. There's a big gap between the two and I see signs of that all around. I agree with your fundamental point that there's no reason to expect the current prosperity to continue. In fact, I'd suggest that our notion of what prosperity is needs to change if we're going to survive. In other words, industrial-era culture is dead- what now?

    And nobody said that we get to choose the direction of change, collectively or individually, but there certainly has been some ongoing continuity in the direction of civilization toward increased prosperity. Not that it cannot go away. By and large, significant change is not achieved through selection by people within a generation. Changes, shifts, adaptations are largely intergenerational. It's a bit of social Darwinism, if you like, though a different application of the term. Modifications to anatomy occur between the generations. At some point in history, on the way to becoming human, our ancestors gave birth to one or more individuals with oppositional thumbs. They did not just wake up and find thumbs newly sprouting from the side of their hands, is my pont. The human mind is different only in that it is born with potential but shaped mostly in the few years after birth, when language is learned and even more basic concepts of time and space are formed. Something like mil
     lions of new brain cells made each day before the child even enters school in most western cultures, but still the child is learning, often very complex concepts, at a truly awsome pace that is not matched in later life. The child interacts with the world as it surrounds her/him and accepts this as his/her reality. For at least a couple of generations now, that reality has been digital. Therefore, I'm saying that as challenges arise people are turning to digital solutions as much as, or more than industrial era solutions because that is the reality for the people who will outlive those adapted to industrial-era realities. Further, the book is an industrial product. In fact, the invention of the printing press with moveable type was one of the most significant steps toward industrialization, and not just for the information in the products produced but for the process involved in producing the products.

    And finally, no replacement for oil? Agreed. So how would new books be published without the energy to harvest and mill the paper pulp, drive the printing presses and distribute these artifacts? If there's going to be any new storytelling at all, it will more likely be through digital media or some medium that follows than by returning to the book. Or we may both be surprised.

    I do believe in the continuity of storytelling. To be human is to communicate. When it comes to energy, one computer can store more stories, in text, music, movies, games etc., using far less energy than it takes to heat/cool, clean and maintain a room full of books. An automobile may never be powered by the sun, but a computer can. Personally, I found McCarthy's "The Road" more entertaining than convincing precisely because he failed to present a community struggling to survive through digital communications. If I missed something, as I so often do, it's probably because I'm more impressed by the consistency of Camus' Sisyphus. There's something in human nature that makes us persist in our doomed endeavours. Sure, if Sisyphus keeps rolling that rock the mountain will eventually erode to nothing. To you that may mean the end of the endeavour. To me it means that the rolling becomes a whole lot easier.

    Best, Kerry