Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:Don Winslow

From: Stewart Wilson (stewart@stewartwilson.com)
Date: 14 Jul 2010

    I'm eager to try SAVAGES based on recommendations here and elsewhere but I'm thinking I might have to give BOBBY Z. Another chance too -- I started it years ago and absolutely hated it. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for the levity. It reminded me in tone of Willards DOWN ON THE PONCE except I loved that book.
     I liked THE ZERO too -- the narrative delivered a disorientation that was very credible. I think the previous time I encountered such an effect was in the first part of the final Lew Griffin novel by Sallis
    -- there was a section there where Lew didn't really know what was going on but it crept up on you until Lew is admitting he is confused.
     I heard Bowden on a CBC radio interview talking about Murder City and meant to pick it up as a result, but since I was driving I forgot to follow up. He was a very compelling speaker and the thing he described were surreal. The interview is at: http://www.cbc.ca/radioshows/AS_IT_HAPPENS/20100414.shtml

      Finally, on the subject of the original thread that restarted activity on Rara-Avis; I blame smartphones for the drop in traffic. They are okay for reading mail, but what a pain to write more than a sentence or two. At least that's my excuse.

    --Stewart