Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Where have you gone Rara-Avis

From: Stephen Burridge (stephen.burridge@gmail.com)
Date: 12 Jul 2010

    Just this evening I got a nice new "40th anniversary" trade paperback edition of "The Friends of Eddie Coyle", with an introduction by Dennis Lehane. I've never read Higgins and I'm looking forward to it.

    I've been going through the works of Thomas Perry at a pretty rapid clip since the very positive NY Times review of his most recent novel a few weeks ago. The best I've read so far might be the recent "Fidelity", whose 2 main characters are a PI's widow and a hit man. Perry's first novel "The Butcher's Boy", which won an Edgar, also featured alternating segments about a female novice investigator and a contract killer, oddly enough. A lot of his books have female viewpoint characters; Perry seems to me to do the female characters pretty well. I'd be interested in the opinions of women readers on this point. I don't think I've seen Perry mentioned much on this list but it seems to me that his work qualifies.

    Stephen Burridge