Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Where have you gone Rara-Avis? (Food for Thought)

From: Jeff Vorzimmer (jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 12 Jul 2010

    Craig,

    Having lived in both the UK and the US, I would say it's more due to the difference in American English vs. British English. I would never say that one is more grammatical or "correct" than the other. I personally have a preference for the American style.

    American's tend to think of it as a "hornet nest," not that it belongs just to one hornet, but that it's a type of nest specific to a single type of insect, i.e., the "hornet." The British are more literal-minded, which often comes through in the usage of the language.

    Jeff