RARA-AVIS: Re: Where have you gone Rara-Avis? (Food for Thought)

From: Craig Clarke (craigsbookclub@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Jul 2010

    >And in the nitpicking department, what's the deal with calling the last Larsson

    >THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST here, instead of the (correct) British
    >title of THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNETS' NEST?
    >
    >Is proper grammar too much of a threat to American masculinity or something?
    >When was the last time you saw a nest belonging to one hornet?

    Interestingly, "hornet's nest" is defined at Merriam-Webster Online, so that may be part of the issue.

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hornet%27s%20nest

    Not meaning to be snarky here. I just know that the people who would have checked the spelling would've merely gone to the dictionary.

    As for whether it's a threat to American masculinity I can't say, except that the one time I stepped on a hornets' nest, I screamed like a little girl when they started stinging me. :)