Re: RARA-AVIS: Digest Number 2740

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Jun 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Bill Crider <macavityabc@...> wrote:

    > mrt said: "I was thinking about this while reading or rereading several
    > novels during the past month, fine works that have little in common
    > thematically... but all feature the extremely clear and focused writing that
    > was so characteristic of Hammett... books like Connelly's _The Scarecrow_ ,
    > Bill Crider's _Booked for a Hanging_, Jack O'Connell's _The
    > Resurrectionist_, as well as the Gores novel we're discussing."
    >
    > That's mighty heady company to find myself in! Thanks.
    >
    > Bill Crider

    Credit where credit is due, Bill. And for people who are not familiar with Bill's Dan Rhodes series, try it... I guarantee you will be hooked. Small town/rural setting, but reaching deep into a society that is prone to violence, treated with humor but without either trivializing the theme or exaggerating it into something Gothic. In other words, it's realistic fiction.

    Best,

    mrt