RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Used Books and ethics

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 05 May 2010

    I haunt a lot of used bookstores -- well, perhaps not a *lot* since there fewer and fewer of these operations around -- but would agree the ARCs make up a very insignificant amount...in my experience, in fact, much less than Dave's number... probably a fraction of a percent.

    I'd also agree that used bookstores are valuable and valid retailers. Any considerations or efforts to curtail their resale business is, I believe, misguided. Not only for the reasons already discussed, but I'd also suggest that a vast majority (more than half, certainly) of the books there are OP
    (out-of-print), so even those who suggest (I believe wrongly) that one should buy new because buying used takes a royalty away from an active author should see that, in most cases, this simply isn't the case.

    Ron C.