RE: Spenser rec's (was: RARA-AVIS: They won't have Parker to kick around anymore

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 20 Jan 2010

    I had no problem with Parker addressing issues. In fact, at the time, I thought that was a very positive thing in the PI novels of the era (even enjoyed Travis McGee's rants, which I was also reading at the time). My problem was with how one-sided the supposed dialog was in the argument, both in the rhetorical debate with Spenser and in the plotting, how her feminism was the root of all of the trouble. For all of the complaints about her stridency, I thought Sara Paretsky's politics were far better integrated into her books. Even with my reservations, though, I can't praise his early books and, especially, his influence enough. For instance, I really doubt Paretsky would have been published if Parker hadn't reopened the market for PI novels. And she's just one of a long list of beneficiaries, such as Michael Lewin, Arthur Lyons, Jack Lynch, Rob Kantner, Elliot Lewis, W Glenn Duncan, Benjamin Schutz, Robert Crais, Brad Solomon, Bill Pronzini, Linda Barnes, George Pelecanos, etc. Sure, I may have come to liek some of their PIs better than Spenser, but I doubt I ever would have found them without him.