RARA-AVIS: Re: Block, McBain, Ross & John D.

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Jan 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Jack Bludis <buildsnburns@...> wrote:

    > I like all but Ross ... Too much metaphor, always feels like an IQ test. This relates to that as that relates to the other ... a, b, c or d? In one book, I think I counted a metaphor every page or so until the story got going and then he dropped the metaphors for family trees--also annoying.

    Well, sometimes books age and styles age. Macdonald died a long time ago, and what seemed new, vital and "relevant" back then, may not seem so now. There is also the opposite effect, for example the experience I had rereading Fredric Brown and finding him very modern, very much of today. It may be a false impression, but that's what I got. Same upon rereading Thomas Dewey, even though some of his topics are definitely of another era.

    Best,

    mrt