RARA-AVIS: Re: Definitions

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Nov 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Juri Nummelin" <juri.nummelin@...> wrote:

    > I said a while back that the importance of Rara-Avis might have diminished a
    > little bit in the last few years. It of course may have something to do with
    > blogs and other forums in which you can discuss new and vintage hardboiled
    > and noir writing, but I'd really like to say that arguing over and over
    > again what noir is and what isn't may have contributed to the feeling of the
    > lesser importance. Get on with your lives, goddammit! (Insert smiley here.)

    I agree that definitions aren't the most interesting thing we could be discussing. However, it's up to the membership to bring up good books and authors, i.e., "the list" does not do that automatically. As to "importance", who cares? A place for friendly and informed conversation doesn't have to be "important"... it is what it is.

    I have been on a Fredric Brown rereading spree, five novels and now the short stories collected by Macmillan, wonderful stuff. He has got to be one of the most original spinners of dark tales. He does reuse some devices, but I never feel like I'm reading the same story. A remarkable career.

    I plan to move on to John D., whose old paperbacks occupy an entire shelf -- yes, I finally dug them all up and the number is staggering.

    For example, how is Cancel All Our Vows? I picked it out for reading without having any memory of it -- probably haven't read it.

    Best,

    mrt