Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: When fact meets fiction, the cases are harder to solve

From: Brian Thornton (bthorntonwriter@gmail.com)
Date: 30 Oct 2009

    I just finished 9 DRAGONS, and thought it one of his better efforts, pacing-wise. This is no mean feat when you stop to consider the fact that Connelly is taking Bosch completely out of LA for a big chunk of the novel, rendering him for the first time in the series literally a "fish out of water" (in Hong Kong), and setting himself up to insert large chunks of background/setting/historical/linguistic detail into the narrative.

    And I'll say this: Connelly still manages to surprise me at times. A couple of those times were over the course of this book. I saw some of the twists and turns of the plot coming, but not all of them. I liked this one as much as I liked THE OVERLOOK, and much more than I liked ECHO PARK.

    Oh, and it's always nice to see Lee Lankford's name get mentioned. Wish he were still contributing here.

    Back to deadline lurkdom-

    Brian