RARA-AVIS: More Likable P.I.s?

From: Frederick Zackel (fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 14 Sep 2009

    Kevin said, "Even that most affable of gumshoes, Rockford, would probably be quite wearying in real life."

    If he weren't so affable, he'd be downright grumpy, and few TV personas are THAT grumpy already. Jim Garner makes him affable, but Rockford is grumpy.

    Kevin also said, "So, at heart, must the private eye remain a loner?"

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Nowadays the lone wolf looks too much like "that quiet guy who lived down the lane" who turns out to be the psychopath killer. That scares people. I believe that's why the successful PI character (in terms of the publishing biz) nowadays is ... a woman. (And maybe a vampire. Or werewolf. Which, in our favorite genre, is downright weird! and I have no explanation of.)

    Shit. I need coffee, too.