RARA-AVIS: (unknown)

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Sep 2009

    Sorry about that. Hit the wrong button in mid-composition. What I was saying was . . .

    All of this has nothing to do with whether or not Dave's Johnny Lane should have been more likeable. Obviously, if he had been, FAST LANE wouldn't have been the book he was trying to write.

    I'm merely pointing out that affability isn't really that rare a quality in the pantheon of hard-boiled dicks, nor is affability alone necessarily a bar to a character having flaws. Hell, affability, by itself, doesn't even insure a moral outlook. Ted Bundy was affable, after all.

    JIM DOHERTY