Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Random Notes On Redemption

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Sep 2009

    Patrick, you've misinterpreted what I've said about the implications of the satanic description, and once again completely ignored the passage where Spade says he loves Brigid. This can only be deliberate, and you're fully entitled to misinterpret and ignore my comments as you do Hammett's text, but there's no point in discussing this further.

    Well, we're closing in on the crux of this discussion. Do you mind quoting the passage where Spade says he loves Brigid? He implies it in the last speech, but he's being ironic, and in the movie Bogart reads the line ironically, even sarcastically. The closest he comes is, "Maybe I love you, and maybe you love me."

    When he says, "I won't do it because all of me wants to," there is no indication he's telling her the truth. "I won't play the sap for you," tells it all. Spade knows her. He knows what she is: a multiple murderer. He's always known from the death of Archer. He's letting her know, whatever she thought was going on, he used her and now he's done with her.

    Patrick King