Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Random Notes On Redemption

From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com
Date: 04 Sep 2009

    Mark:

    I know I'm repeating myself here, but for me the defining characteristic of noir is that it is not just the failure of redemption but the complete absence and pointlessness of redemption. The desire for or the attempt to achieve redemption and failing to do so, a "cautionary tale" as you put it, is tragedy.

    The philosophy of noir is essentially existential, which is why The Stranger fits so snuggly into the genre (and from there into post-modernism.) But before the moaning and handringing over the existentialism's lack of values begins, I'll just add that (again, speaking for myself) significant chunks of Christian instruction are existential. "Do unto others as you would have done unto you" is experiential advice, as opposed to the supernatural "treat others well because god says so," or "treat others badly and you'll burn in hell." Of course, these concepts are not exclusively Christian either.

    Not that we should debate religion on RARA. I'm just suggesting that redemption is more about doing the right thing morally, while not screwing people over because you might at some point expect the same thing back, is simply practical.

    In The Maltese Falcon, Spade actively rejects love. He will not allow his feelings for Brigid to divert him from saving his business or being fitted for Archer's murder. Neither is he moved by the artistry/antiquity of the Falcon itself or the declaration that it is the stuff "dreams are made of". These are all romantic notions of spiritual transcendence, but if Spade does the right thing it is for entirely practical reasons. Chandler's idea of detectives as 20th Century white knights, however, lone men of virtue on the mean streets of the modern world saving fair damsels from gangsters and pornographers, may be hardboiled, but is not noir.

    So sayeth I, Kerry