Re:OT: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: BBC4 Film Noir Doc plus short season

From: ejmd (ejmd__@ntlworld.com)
Date: 27 Aug 2009

          "sonny" sforstater@yahoo.com
          <mailto:sforstater@yahoo.com?Subject=%20Re%3AOT%3A%20%20Re%3A%20RARA-AVIS%3A%20Re%3A%20BBC4%20Film%20Noir%20Doc%20plus%20short%20season>
            wrote:

    > 'girlfriend' is one the great power pop, or whatever rock label you
    > wanna give it, songs of all time. the whole album is good but that
    > song is classic.
    >
    > i happen to see matthew on tv the other day, currently working with
    > ex bangle suzanna hoffs and damn he did not look good. not that i
    > haven't lost hair and gained weight too. but they had acoustic guitars
    > and no band and were doin covers of other people's songs. didn't
    > impress me at all.

    I'm not at all familiar with Matthew Sweet, but as far as covers go, there's a very hot French band called Nouvelle Vague that put a great twist on material from the 1970s and 1980s. They have three albums out which are defintitely worth a listen (the first two are the best, IMO). I could imagine some of their covers on the soundtrack of a neo-noir .

    Some audio, along with all the usual web-based stuff, can be found here: http://www.nouvellesvagues.com/

    ED